I am pleased to offer a number of lesson options to students throughout the school year. The following is the recommended lesson length based on age:
- Beginner = 30 min: 6-11 years old; AND/OR Piano Adventures Primer to Level 2B – 30 minutes
- Intermediate = 45 min: 12-15 years old; AND/OR Grade 1 to Grade 5 RCM – 45 Minutes
- Advance = 1 hour: 15+; AND/OR Grade 6 and up RCM – 1 hour
- Adult Students = 1 hour
- Piano & Voice = 6-11 years old; AND/OR at least 45 minutes
Please note: this is a general guide based on age of student; student’s goals, experience, interest and level of playing will ultimately affect recommended lesson length
- Includes piano instruction, theory and musicianship skills (ear training, sight reading, etc.)
- Working primarily from Faber & Faber’s Piano Adventures, the Royal Conservatory’s Celebration Series 2015 Edition and Celebrate Theory, Grace Vanderdool Keyboard Theory and Mark Sarnecki Rudiments; supplementary repertoire can be assigned in a number of styles including pop, jazz, ragtime, blues and more
- Lessons time – 30, 45, or 60 minutes
Piano + Voice
- Best suited for late beginner to intermediate students
- Primary focus on piano, with secondary focus on basic vocal technique
- Also includes theory and musicianship skills
- Piano: working primarily from Faber & Faber’s Piano Adventures, the Royal Conservatory’s Celebration Series 2015 Edition and Celebrate Theory, Grace Vanderdool Keyboard Theory and Mark Sarnecki Rudiments; supplementary repertoire can be assigned in a number of styles including pop, jazz, ragtime, blues and more
- Voice: working primarily from the Royal Conservatory’s Resonance: A Compreshensive Voice Series, with opportunity to learn pop, musical theatre, jazz and more.
- Lesson time – 30, or 45 minutes
- Ideal for intermediate to advanced students seeking to meet requirements for the Royal Conservatory Examinations, including Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced Rudiments
- Working from the Royal Conservatory’s Celebrate Theory series and Mark Sarnecki Rudiments
- A great option for advance students preparing for university admission
- Lesson time – 30, 45 and 60 minutes
Music Texts and Materials
Lesson books, workbooks, and theory books are not included in rates; I will indicate required materials prior to first lesson. Materials can be purchased online or via Long and McQuade.
In order to receive the most from piano lessons, it is necessary for students to have an adequate instrument at home to practice between lessons. Clavinova and electronic pianos (88 keys) are suitable for beginner students; however, as students progress, it is recommended that they upgrade to an acoustic piano to better develop their technical abilities. Keyboards are not adequate for development at the piano.
Every week, the student and I will work together to create a list of goals (let’s say, “homework”) for the following week. Goals keep us on task and moving forward. In terms of practice, I want them to commit to at least 5 personal practice sessions a week. I am not necessarily concerned with the length of their practice sessions as we all learn at different paces; I am most concerned with seeing some progress from week to week by targeting their outlined goals. When students begin witnessing their own growth due to regular practice, they often become inspired to practice beyond the minimum. Your support at home is very much required to help develop an independent young musician!
I am in the Brighton area, in close proximity to Colonel Gray, Queen Charlotte, Spring Park and St. Jean Elementary.
With a full teaching schedule, your lesson slot is reserved for you. There will be no make-up lessons or refunds issued for missed lessons. Each student is allotted two absences for the year.
Students are encouraged to share their hard work with an audience and hear other music students share their talents. Performance opportunities include the Young Musicians’ Recital Series (sponsored by the PEI Registered Music Teacher’s Association), the Queens County Music Festival, RCM Exams, studio recitals, and performance masterclasses shared with colleagues.
For more information regarding studio policies and payment plans, please contact Andrea directly.